Lets talk about my Vagina…

“The heart is capable of sacrifice. So is the vagina. The heart is able to forgive and repair. It can change its shape to let us in. It can expand to let us out. So can the vagina. It can ache for us and stretch for us, die for us and bleed and bleed us into this difficult, wondrous world. So can the vagina. I was there in the room. I remember.”  Eve Ensler, The Vagina Monologues


Yes you read that right…I said, ‘lets talk about my vagina’, or perhaps, let me say- lets talk about your vagina or rephrase that, and say, lets talk about vaginas. 
When was the last time you said, "vagina"? Do you even say vagina? how often have you used it while having sex (or not)?- perhaps not that often right...i mean, you might say its not sexy enough, or that it may not have that edgy sound to it. 

It reminds of this quote, It's a totally ridiculous, completely unsexy word. If you use it during sex, trying to be politically correct-- "Darling, could you stroke my vagina?"-- you kill the act right there. I'm worried about vaginas, what we call them and don't call them.  Eve Ensler, The Vagina Monologues

How do you refer to a Vagina? Does it make you comfortable? Do you call it ‘lady parts’, ‘lady bits’, ‘v-jay-jay’, ‘pussy’, or some other name that is not even closely resemble a vagina?

Anyways, lots of my health dramas surrounds my Vagina- My vagina is the ‘starring actress’ of all my excruciating pain’, - it’s the visible ‘face’ to my disease that cant be seen, my reproductive health is very closely connected to this beautiful organ of mine. I definitely don’t shy away from talking about it, simply because I have a non-curable disease that is very closely connected to my vagina and my reproductive health.

I do not hesitate to talk about my vagina simply because my vagina has been made visible (some wanted and some unwanted) under lots of environments and circumstances (often in those medical beds/gyno- clinics/surgeries, sex/pleasurable foreplay and so forth).

I am fortunate enough to be able to access the best of health services and facilities compared to the many women here in Fiji. I am grateful that I can afford to pay for private health (though its ridiculous and my savings used to be solely dedicated for that purpose)- I only hope for the day when ALL women are able to access the quality of Sexual and Reproductive Health services and have FULL Rights over their bodies.

I only wish that many were comfortable to talk about their vaginas, look at it, touch it and feel it and be able to know when something is not right.

I only wish that more women could talk more openly about vaginas with each other.

I only wish we ALL could talk more openly about vaginas rather than glamorising ‘sex’. 

I only wish women had FULL (not more) rights over their bodies. I wish the best of health services were not privatised!

I only wish people RESPECTED the choices of women. 
That as women we should not only have FULL rights over how many children we wanted (that’s if we wanted to), when we wanted to have sex (if we wanted to, with whom and how we should have sex), and bloody hell be able to say YES or NO to sex, when and as we please.

I wish to remind you that the length and ‘tightness of my clothes’ (or me being comfortable in whatever clothes-or simply being comfortable in my own skin) is not an indicator or consent to you violating ME or RAPING Me!

So here i am hoping that this blog ‘turned you on’ mentally and I hope that you can go and read up more about Sexual Reproductive Health and Rights, the need to END Rape and how to Respect a Vagina and love/pleasure a Vagina Fully (within a Human Rights framework)!

Lets talk more about our bodies with Respect and make sure we are able to exercise our Reproductive and Health Rights Fully and be able to access quality Sexual and Reproductive Health services!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Each time death visits me, it brings along a friend- grief.

She died again today

What's in a name?